Friday, July 08, 2005

Live from the Grand Ole Opry

I finally got everything sorted out and drove over to the Grand Ole Opry. Not only is it a music amphitheatre, but an entire outlet mall sprung up around it. It just looks so wrong and out of place, like a spectacle in a Disney World park. I bought a ticket for tonight's show and went to the mall to kill some time.

I was surrounded by country music, NASCAR crap, christian messages and very wide people waddling slowly in front of me, slurping their milkshakes and eating fudge. Now, the people down here are very friendly, but Thank God I don't live here. I feel like I have to read a book otherwise my brain is just going to rot out from contageous stupidity.

I know I'm sterotyping southerners, but my GOD!, how much John Deere and hunting and fireworks stores can I stand to see?

HPIM2903

It was time for the show to start and I went inside the Opry House. There I learned that I was about to see not a concert, but a live radio show that has been going on for 80 years.

Song lines overheard:

"There ain't no slow dancin' with a fast woman."

"If my nose was running money, honey, I'd blow it all on you."


HPIM2904

I stayed for about 90 minutes. It was ok. I can cross it off the things to do before I die. Now I'm in my motel room for the night and I have to read a book. Now that I'm on my way back north maybe my brain cells will rejuvinate.

No comments: